Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Thing 19 - Discovering Etsy, A Web 2.0 Tool


After browsing some of the winning Web 2.0 tools, the one that I found most captivating (aside from the tools that were explored in previous lessons) was Etsy. Etsy is a website that brings together sellers and buyers of handcrafted items. Wikipedia describes Etsy most accurately by equating it to an online craft fair.

There are many ways to search for items on Etsy: by category, tag, recently listed, seller's favorite, seller's location and color. I found searching by tag and category most worthwhile. One of the items that I found was the painting shown above. It is a gouache painting entitled Summer Reading that is listed for $80. I least liked searching by color. My searches tended to yield bizarre results. For example, when I clicked on yellow, I was recommended a pair of batman earrings.

How could this tool be implemented in the library? We probably couldn't use this tool professionally but we could always recommend it to our creative patrons who are looking for a way to sell their crafts. I already have a person in mind: a coworker that crafts beautifully beaded jewelry.

Look at one of the gems that I found during my search. It is an ornament that can be personalized. I'm thinking of getting two for my guinea pigs. Too bad the seller doesn't offer personalized ornaments for German Shepherds. I hope my dog doesn't get jealous.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Loved the video starring Bing. He's adorable!