Friday, March 2, 2007

Thing 15 - Library 2.0

After reading the five perspectives, I think the one I agree with most is Rick Anderson's "Away from the Iceburgs." I think Loudoun County has done an excellent job catering to the evolving technology. It has made available an information rich database, convenient downloadable audiobooks, portable audiobooks, engaging Tumblebooks, live homework help, Grease Monkey for Amazon, a LCPL toolbar, and many other nifty technologies. (Although it would help a lot of patrons if they could download audiobooks on their Ipods or Zooms.) I can honestly say that I'm proud to be an employee for the county. I like to check out other libraries as a hobby. (I know, it's sad, but I really do love my job and the library.) Anyway, the point is, I think Loudoun County tops the list on available technology and user friendliness. In summary, on the technology aspect, I think our library system is Library 2.0 compatible.


I think we have two "iceburgs" though. First, I think only a few of our patrons comprehend the extent of our collection. The community isn't aware of our online gems or even our in-library digital collection. We needs to pump up our marketing strategy and keep the public abreast of our technology. Perhaps we should go to schools and educate the teachers on how to use our online tools. They can then pass the knowledge down to their students. I think many of the youth view libraries as a building storing a just-in-case collection. I want them to see that we are much more. Maybe we could visit gyms and market the portable audio books. Wouldn't time pass a lot quicker if they listened to a book while working out?

The second challenge is to keep the library staff educated on the new technology. The technology is rolled out so quickly that we need to receive proper training for us to successfully serve our patrons. For example,Web 2.0 has been an absolutely awesome learning experience! We need more training programs like this. Please don't get miffed at me for writing this, but I also think learning Web 2.0 should be mandatory. Even if there wasn't a prize at the end, it's valuable training that is essential for serving our patrons effectively. (Don't get me wrong, I can't to receive the MP3 player. I'm giving it to my husband so he will be able to work out on the treadmill with his own music. he! he! Charlie gave me one for my birthday two years ago and it is fantastic!) Hopefully, there will be more learning in store for us after Web 2.0. I don't want to miss out on anything.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hi - I'm back to "lurking" on staff blogs after getting to the wiki list and finding the lcpl links - so - it's interesting to read your comments here. And I agree with a lot of it - getting patrons to know what we have is a constant challenge...and you've hit the nail on the head that keeping staff informed about new technologies is one of the ways to get this to happen...thanks so much for your enthusiasm and comments!!