Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thing 22 - NetLibrary

I had set up an account with NetLibrary quite a while ago but had never downloaded an audiobook for my own personal use. I decided to download Lisa Jackson's Deep Freeze. Within the first five minutes, I had made a mental task list of things to do for tomorrow. As I mentioned in the last post, I'm a traditional read-a-book kind of girl. My mind tends to wander when I listen to audio books. So while I think it is a neat feature, I probably won't use it in the future. Maybe I'm better suited for e-books. Isn't it great that the county offers so many options!
On a professional level, I can attest that there are many patrons who love listening to audio books. They live such busy lifestyles that they are only able to enjoy books by listening to them. Many of them listen while gardening, performing housework, painting, or commuting. E-audiobooks allows these patrons to be even more mobile. Now they can "get out there" (stolen ad phrase from Royal Caribbean.) There are several limitations to e-audiobooks. There aren't as many title choices as there are on books on CD. I searched for some of the current bestsellers and they aren't available. Plus, the program doesn't allow patrons to download these books to Ipods or Macs. Ipods have almost become a household name since so many people own one. This automatically eliminates a huge percentage of patrons from using NetLibrary.

No comments: